Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Just a song...

Ok, yeah, I'm 59 on the inside. I have the new Bonnie Raitt CD Souls Alike (and the iTunes originals), and there's an excellent song on there called "Crooked Crown." I listened to it in the car yesterday on my way to work, and the lyrics kinda hit me - reminded me of how I am sometimes. Read and compare.


I could say what I mean
(or I could dance around it)
it would feel good to scream
(I should quiet down)
I could be recognized
(or I could stay in bed)
look the world in the eyes
(or just hang my head)

I'm holding steady this crooked crown
Knowing I'll lose it if I look down

When my ship has come in
(when it runs aground)
I'll be smiling again
(turn those corners down)
I've got something to say
(no one's listening)
it's my reckoning day
(so where's the reckoning?)


I'm holding steady this crooked crown
knowing I'll lose it if I look down
I'm holding steady this crooked crown

My prodigy and my idiot play
for the prize of my delicate line
somehow the score at the end of
the day is still 51-49


I'm holding steady this crooked crown
knowing I'll lose it if I look down
I'm holding steady this crooked crown

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you can talk yourself into being what you want to be. Try listening to something up beat and you would be surprised how much better you will feel. Thinking good thoughts and asking for guidance make all the difference. You are too great to be bleak, you are wasting your energy.

Laura said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement - it's funny how an anonymous blog reader can say what I've been waiting to hear from others for a long time. Thank you. Oh, BTW, though, that song's actually pretty upbeat. :^)

 
Copyright 2009 Thrashing the Blues. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan